Tuesday, October 26, 2010
This was a planned project, actually queued it quite some time ago that has ended up being a KAL (knit-a-long) in the Knitting For Boys group on Ravelry. A KAL that I somehow seem to be nominally in charge of, how did that happen exactly? Not sure, but I think it may have something to do with all of us interested in doing a project together but no one knowing quite how to begin. I made a few suggestions and ended up setting up the discussion thread that resulted in my personal choice winning. No, I did not cheat, I simply waited and hoped! Once we had picked out the pattern I happily set a discussion for us to all to support one another as we worked on our creations for our little guys. It is fun to see what others are doing, especially any solutions they may have found for any problems with the pattern or suggestions to improve it. Destructo-boy will be the lucky little guy to eventually wear this vest, hopefully by turkey day as that was my original plan.
For my Pembroke I decided to mirror the cables, I think it is just so much nicer looking that way. This involved some white out to redraw some symbols on the chart, but it is coming out beautifully. Unfortunately I didn't really pay attention to one of the most common comments/notations on the pattern, that it runs small. Meaning even if you attain gauge as noted, the finished garment will be smaller than that indicated in the pattern. I realized it was coming out a little short after I did the cast off stitches for the armholes. Since for ths pattern you need to start on a particular row for the cables to line up properly with the v-neck, I couldn't just add more rows. To make the body longer I would have to tear it all out and begin over. Yeah, not happening. Instead I added on 1/4" to the length of the armhole and consigned myself to the fact that it may be a one year garment. Oh well, at least I already have a worthy little one that hand me downs can go to!
Then I had a little problem at the armhole cast off for the shoulders, they came out totally uneven, in the way of six stitches uneven. So I adjusted the cast off for the shoulders so they would be even, on the neckline shaping row, I cast off 4 stitches as in the pattern and then knit 12 stitches (13 live stitches now) put these 13 stitches on a stitch holder, cast off to 16 stitches from the end with 1 stitch on the right needle, total 17 stitches live. Pretty much followed the pattern from there and the two shoulders are now even.
Next to cast on the front and hope it goes as well!