Sorry for the prolonged silence! Somehow time just got away with me, I have been knitting but since many of the projects are intended as gifts, well, I just can't discuss them here. I can tell you all about the latest project for Destructo though, I am quite proud of it.
This jacket took a really long time considering the size but I kept stopping as it made me nervous. You know how it is, the knitting project is scary so set it aside for awhile as you work on something you have far more confidence in yourself at making and then get back to it on a particularly good day self-confidence wise (is that even a proper word?). There were a couple of new techniques in this project for me, of course the intarsia but also sewing in a zipper, yikes!
Destructo-boy seems to love it and I am pretty happy with it myself so it was well worth all the trouble. For the zipper I first tried to hand sew it in but was not keeping even tension on the knit fabric so it was bunching up kind of funny. Since I just wasn't happy with that I ripped out the seam and re-pinned the whole zipper so I could make an attempt with my machine.
Ah, the magic of a walking foot! I went really slowly and carefully as I sewed with the machine and it did a much better job than I did by hand. All I had to do was whip stitch the floppy edge of the zipper tape down and fold down the upper cut off edged of the zipper tape. I think it came out beautifully if I do say so myself! It was just a little strange to sew on a zipper without the zipper foot on the machine.
Another obstacle were all the ends to weave in, even with doing a Russian join at each color change on the striping part of the jacket there were still floppy ends that needed to be woven it. Well, I suppose I could have just trimmed them but I thought they would look better woven in farther away from the edge of the jacket.
I must say I think it is awesome of the company to provide the pattern at no charge upon request, you don't often find companies willing to do such a thing.