Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Yes, I finally finished my Dark & Stormy. No more ripping stitches out, it is officially done, hooray! This really is a great pattern and I think I am now hooked on Baby Cocktails designs, I had already knitted Nantucket Red by her and love it too. The only thing I found was that to me her designs run a little small, or maybe she likes her sweaters snugger than I do mine. Hmm, or maybe I am just lying to myself about my true measurements...
To get my Dark & Stormy right I ended up ripping out the collar to the last of the short rows and picking out the bottom hem so I could add on the needed length. On the bottom I added 12 rows of ribbing (about an inch and a half) before binding it off again. For the collar I used a separate piece of yarn to do the pick up rows on each side where the hem was longer before spit splicing the yarn back together at the end of the short rows and continuing on with the pattern instructions from that point. I did need to add a fifth buttonhole, thankfully I was able to find the last button in my sewing basket!
One thing I learned is that although a sewn bind off makes a wonderfully stretchy edge that looks good it is utter misery to pick out! In spite of the pain this was and the additional week of working on it and nothing else really, it was worth it in the end. I am now totally happy with the sweater and foresee much wearing of it. I certainly hope the yarn will hold up, it is so soft I fear it will start pilling if I look at it funny!