Monday, June 11, 2012
After an aborted start working on a Poolside with my stash of Rowan Calmer I started again on Irish Coffee and am quite pleased. I stopped the Poolside because I realized my yarn wasn't a really good match, Calmer acts a lot like a wool yarn, not very much like a cotton so I decided it would work better for me in a pattern that actually calls for wool. I also have come to realize that living in southern California doesn't really require wool for sweaters, at least for pullovers. As cold as I can get (hey, I got cold in Lahaina, Hawaii, true story!), I still can feel like I am suffocating in wool when I wear my one wool pullover, so perhaps a blend is the way to go for me.
I have also heavily altered the neckline and fit of this sweater, it is supposed to fit like a tunic, rather loose, but I am making it significantly more fitted. The snugger fit is also me hedging my bets a little knowing that cotton tends to stretch and definitely more so in a full garment than in a 4" x 4" swatch. For the neckline I cast on far fewer stitches than are called for because in just about every project on Ravelry with a model, she is wearing a t-shirt underneath since the wide neckline is so wide their bra straps would show otherwise. Since I want to be able to wear this as a sweater without something else underneath I knew that neckline would need to change. So I grabbed my copy of Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard and took inspiration from her raglan pattern Pink to adjust the sweater more to my liking (plus copious amounts of math using my gauge swatches, checking and re-checking myself to be sure). Thus I have a great v-neck for this fabulous sweater.
Once I got to the split for the sleeves I have pretty much faithfully followed the pattern. I really love how the cable on this one comes together, so very pretty. Thus far I am loving working on this and as always Thea writes a great pattern, I highly recommend this one, I may even make it again but following the original neckline!