Friday, April 22, 2011

The boxes are in the building


I thought I'd share my birthday haul since the boxes have all arrived, finally.  I do still have some gift cards to spend but I am a bit of a hoarder so it might be awhile before I spend them.  I got a box from KnitPicks, one form WEBS, and one from Amazon, I love that smiley face!  I really wanted to pull all the yarn out and roll in it, but I managed to resist the temptation.  I certainly petted it all and rubbed my face in it though!


First to arrive was the KP box with 10 skeins of Comfy worsted in a gorgeous color called sea foam.  It is not as bright as it appeared on my monitor but I love it nonetheless as it definitely has the feel of the ocean to it.  This was my birthday present from Grumpy and Chatty Cathy that she helped me pick out on my birthday after we went out yarn shopping.  One of the reviews of this yarn said when knit up it feels like your favorite t-shirt and after feeling this yarn I can certainly believe it!  Maybe this is the answer to my issue with the current availability of decent t-shirts at retailers, maybe I should just knit my own!  Anyway, this yarn is destined to become a Lilas cardigan designed by Hilary Smith-Callis, a truly lovely drape front cardigan that I think I would get a lot of wear out of.  I am debating about lengthening the sleeves to 3/4 length rather than the short sleeves as written in the pattern.


Next up came a box from WEBS, I went a little crazy since they are currently having their annual anniversary sale and the prices are fabulous!  I ended up ordering Classic Elite Classic Silk in the princess pink color, Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in persimmon, and a lonely skein of Madelinetosh sock in fragrant.  It is all gorgeous!  The silky wool is the perfect shade of dark terracotta, it has a subtle pink tone to it and will be perfect for a Dark & Stormy (Ravelry link) cardigan designed by Thea Colman (I adore her designs, classic and simple, but very modern too, just my style).  For the classic silk I'll make a Nantucket Red (Ravelry link) cardigan, it'll be another great layering sweater for spring and summer.  The pink color is a bit lighter than I expected but still quite acceptable for me to wear (sorry Lil' Miss, you don't get this stuff!).  The madelinetosh, well, I have no plans for that yarn as of yet.  It is unbelievably beautiful though, I now understand why people love this stuff so much the colors just don't photograph nearly how they look in person, I do believe I'll be treating myself to this yarn on occasion in the future.


Lastly I got some books from Amazon, of course some knitting books and one just to enjoy reading.  I am delighted to have The Big Book of Knitted Monsters by Rebecca Danger, I have admired her patterns for awhile but just couldn't afford to pay for them individually.  Now that there are 20 available in a single book for less than $12 through Amazon, well it was kind of a no-brainer!  I also desperately wanted the Silk Road Socks book by Hunter Hammersen once I saw the first pattern, they are all incredibly gorgeous and although I haven't had a chance t read through the book yet it appears that there was quite a bit of research that went into it on the history of the silk road and how the rugs are different in each region and then how all this went into the design of each sock (I can't wait to get started on one of these!).  Lastly a work of fiction, New York by Edward Rutherford.  I think I have read just about every one of his books and love them!  His approach is unique, he follows a few families through a very long period of time and thus depicts the changes that occur in a community over such a long period of time, quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails